Apache Kafka is a scalable and fault tolerant messaging system common in publish and subscribe (pub/sub) architectures. Apache Kafka is used for a range of use cases including message bus modernization, microservices architectures and ETL over streaming data. The main benefits of Apache Kafka are:
- High throughput -- Each server is capable of handling 100s MB/sec of data.
- High availability -- Data can be stored redundantly in multiple servers and can survive individual server failure.
- High scalability -- New servers can be added over time to scale out the system.
- Easy integration with external data sources or data sinks.
- Built-in real-time processing layer.
This guide provides instructions on:
- Downloading and installing Apache Kafka
- Producing and consuming messages
- Working with Kafka Connect
- Transformations in Kafka
- Connect REST APIs
To learn more and to quickly get started with Apache Kafka, download this guide.